There is nothing I love more than watching a badass leading actress crush it on screen- whether it’s in a movie or on TV. There’s just something about watching Olivia Pope run shit in The White House on Scandal, or Katniss Everdeen dominating in The Hunger Games that really inspires me to take control of my own life.
I remember watching Herbie Fully Loaded when it came out in 2005 (I was 10) and thinking, “Yeah, that’s right!” when she finished the race, got out of the car, took her helmet off and shook her hair at all the haters who thought she was a boy. From that moment on, I never again wanted to be the Cinderella of the story. I wanted to be Cadet Kelly, killing it at military school or Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior, beating up all those scary ancient statues.
Ask most girls if they could be one character in a movie/TV show, and you’ll get answers like Allie from Nicholas Sparks’ The Notebook, or Regina George from Mean Girls. That’s not my style. I’d go with someone a little bit more dangerous.
Here are the top five roles I would choose if I could pick to be any character in a movie:
5. Hermione Granger in The Harry Potter series (2001-2011). I’m not going to pretend that I am any expert at all when it comes to Harry Potter, but I always thought that Hermione was so cool the way she outsmarted anyone and everyone. Of course, once she grew up, she turned into a quick witted and fearless woman who would do anything to keep her friends safe. Total badass!
4. Selina Kyle (Catwoman) in The Dark Knight Rises (2012). Catwoman is a sexy, cunning and devious character who spends most of her life as a world-class burglar who takes things from the rich. I like her because she’s mysterious, sassy and of course- a total badass.
3. Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games series (2012-2015). Katniss is the epitome of a badass. She alone is the symbol used for the rebellion against the capital. She doesn’t take orders from anyone but herself and she’s always full of surprises. She actually reminds me of myself a little. Especially when she shot her arrow right through the apple in the pigs mouth when showcasing her skills to the capital before the game, and when they all looked at her in disbelief she simply curtsied and left.
2. Jane Smith in Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005). This is one of my favorite movies just because of how cool Angelina Jolie is in it. I’ve always thought it would be so cool to be a super secret spy and this movie just makes it look ten times more appealing.
- Natasha Romanoff (The Black Widow) in Marvel’s The Avengers (2012). I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty sure she doesn’t have any special superpowers except for her ability to be a total and complete badass and looking good while doing it.
This is one of my favorite quotes of all time, and I think it ties in perfectly with this blog post. Strong is sexy!